Plastic waste in the ocean/beach can never be degraded nor be recycled. By picking the waste from the beach, we prevent the plastic from going back to the ocean again and harming the eco-system and our health. The next service is coming up soon, we hope to see you and share more about eco-friendly living style with you.
3rd Beach Cleaning (Area 4 & 5 have priority, clubs from ALL areas welcome to join)
· Date: 9 May 2021 (Sunday)
· Time: 1:30pm – 3:30pm
· Location: TBC
(Exact location will be advised closer to event day, we are checking the tides and pollution situation to select the location)
· Programme: 30 mins of education workshop about plastic pollution, 1.5 hrs of beach cleaning service
· Max. no. of volunteers: 50 pax (children above 3 years old are welcome. Maximum volunteer no. is 5 pax per club. If there are still vacancy in the week of 4 May, will open for registration.)
· Registration online form: https://forms.gle/6b5P3WM4DfCzuzEFA
(Registration deadline: 7 May 2021)
1. Volunteers will be divided into 5 groups of 10 persons, each group will be guided by 1 staff from A Plastic Ocean Foundation.
2. All participants must wear masks and maintain social distance during the programme.
3. Area 4 & 5 have priority, clubs from ALL areas welcome to join
· Enquiry: email@example.com or
Rtr Estelle LAM (mobile: 6308 0213) or
Rtn Jonathan LI (mobile: 6606 8128)
About A Plastic Ocean Foundation
80% of ocean plastics come from land activities. Preventing waste entering the sea through the shoreline is our tactic to address this issue. Plastic can and should be repurposed and recycled.
Currently Hong Kong only locally recycles 7%. Our goal at a Plastic Ocean Foundation is to drastically expand this.
At A Plastic Ocean Foundation, we are concerned about the fragile state of our oceans and work together with other NGOs and the community to change attitudes towards plastics in one generation.
We identify the way we dispose of plastic as a major problem. We are not an anti-plastic organisation. We agree plastic is an amazing product; versatile, cheap, light and it saves a lot of lives too - like in medicine! However, our addiction to plastic and our disposable lifestyle are now starting to pose a threat to the survival of marine species, as well as ourselves!
It’s our commitment to the ocean that we will clean up at least One tonne of ocean trash each year along the shorelines of Hong Kong. We also intend to spread our conservation message to the participants who care and love the ocean as much as we do.
Prior to every clean-up, we do a safety briefing so everyone knows how to operate safely. After each clean-up a debriefing provides educational knowledge, for example the impacts of plastic waste to our shared ocean. Additionally, data collected from each clean-up will be gathered and sent to the government for tracking. We are also investing in technology to repurpose the One tonne collected ocean plastic into other utilities, including rPET.
Vice Chair - Rotary District Preserve Planet Earth Committee
Rotaractor of RAC Hong Kong City North
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org; mobile: 6308 0213)